Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Why is it unwise to aspire to be a celebrity


I remember Angelina Jolie saying a few years ago that she never wanted to be a mother herself. That all she ever wanted was to make life better for the orphans of the world. Orphans who currently live in the most impoverished countries in the world. And for a second there I thought she might keep her word. First she adopted Maddox and then Zahara. All seemed fine. But there was this unavoidable fact: she didn't have the significant other, yet she wanted to be a mother. The obvious way to go was to adopt, not to get yourself pregnant.

Now, however, she has the significant other. Only she wouldn't want to admit it before certain photos of her surfaced. Photos like this one. I'd say she's about 6 months pregnant. That means she got pregnant in the Summer when she claimed she and Brad Pitt were just friends and that she'd never steal a married man from his wife. Guilty conscience, huh?


What worries me more is that Brad and Angelina met while filming Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Then Brad divorced Jennifer Aniston in January '05 and moved in with Ange and got her pregnant within half a year. Ok, so Brad is the next inseminator after Kevin Federline. These days it is not enough to live with or be married to a woman, you have to get her pregnant to show how much control you have over her. And ladies just keep getting pregnant. So I understand that Britney got pregnant the first time she had the chance, because she kept whining about wanting to be a mother for years before it actually happened. But Jolie with all her independent spirit, her rebeling and self-sufficiency, not to mention: "all I want is to adopt"?

This is yet another proof that ladies don't decide in Holywood. How do you persuade a woman you've known for a little less than a year to have your children even though she didn't want to have any children of her own before? Imagine a conversation between Brad and Ange.
Brad: "Hey, Ange... I want us to have a baby."

Ange: "Sure, honey, we're going to Vietnam in a few days. We can adopt there... It'd be so nice to have another little child, even though Maddox is still so very young."
B: "No, like... I want you to get pregnant."
A: "I won't get pregnant. There are so many orphans in the world... I think it'd be better if we adopted and saved some children from suffering. It is much more humane than just having your own children."
B: "But, Ange... What are people going to say? I mean ... we've been living together for a few months now and if I don't get you pregnant - and soon - they'll say I'm sterile... or something."
A: "Brad, you know... we've just adopted Zahara... she's still a baby... shouldn't we wait a year or perhaps more to see how we handle two children before rushing to have three?
B: "A year! Then they'll definitely say I'm unable to have children. Besides... I divorced Jen, because she didn't want to have children... I am dating you, because you want to have children. I want to have six children and if we don't get going soon... it might be too late..."
A: "It won't be too late, trust me."
B: "People will say you're bossing me around... You know I shouldn't allow that... to perserve my masculinity and my image and all..."
A (after moments of silence): "Ok, let's get busy, then..."

All I can say is I feel sorry for old Ange... Brad is an adulterer who's divorced his wife for Ange. I assume it is because Ange has bigger breasts and lips and is younger, therefore she can have more of his children. Before Jen, he was dating Gwyneth Paltrow. After breaking up with her, he married Jen within half a year and Jennifer lost many pounds. Now, he's dating Ange and she has lost pounds as well... It's not that she ever was really fat, but she's had a fuller figure before... Now she's just reed thin...

What is it that Brad's got? What makes all the women go crazy and do everything he asks them to do? What makes a woman want to have a child of a known adulterer before they've known him for at least a year? What makes them lose weight when they start going out with him?

I don't blame Brad... I blame all his women for letting him take control of their lives. I blame all the women for thinking it is their duty to do as the man says. I blame them for not standing up for themselves, for abandoning freedom of choice just to please men. I blame them for not thinking. I blame them for having children which will be raised by adulterers, emotionally unstable, childish, irresponsible and self-centered fathers who think they're the centre of the Universe.

And yet you see women who whisper: "I want to be just like Angelina..."

posted by Nadezhda | 12:48


6 Comments:


Blogger Bo said...

Gee I don't know. In the majority of cultures women are told what to do, and it all plays out just wonderful when a man is capable and competent, so a woman gleefully follows him. And who would deny Brad Pitt his capabilities?

As for the two celebrities acting capabilities: I am still waiting for a decent movie starring Angelina Jolie, however I was smitten by Brad in: Se7en, Fight Club and Legends of the Fall. In addition I would like to see Seven Years in Tibet; is it any good? I like mountains.


Blogger ill-advised said...

I blame them for not standing up for themselves, for abandoning freedom of choice just to please men.

But how do you know that they abandoned their freedom of choice? Perhaps they exercised their freedom of choice. Perhaps they chose to act the way you see them act. Surely (if I may use a favourite phrase of a large group of people whom I truly love to hate, namely the defenders of ‘freedom’ of ‘choice’ in matters of economy) nobody held a gun to their heads, requiring them to get pregnant with Pitt?

Freedom of choice is a slippery concept. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why I'm not very fond of it myself.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Let's talk about me. Because this is my blog and my opinion.

bo - it's not about the man being (in)capable and (in)competent, it's just that I've always believed one knows what is best for himself/herself. Even though people don't always act in the way, which would be best for them, they usually know, what they should do. It's being "in your shoes" that matters most. Noone can decide for me as well as I can myself (even if I wanted them to) because I've lived "with myself" for the longest time, I know myself and what I want to do in my life. And, frankly, I need no men telling me what to do with myself. I'm not a radical feminist, because (in my opinion) that just doesn't work. I am, however, a firm believer in making choices for yourself, even if they're wrong. Sometimes a discussion about someone making a certain choice is in order, but this never means I try to persuade people to change their mind. I try to present the evidence of the contrary, but that's all. (Incidentally: I don't believe women should do as men say, I don't believe women should follow in the man's footsteps and admire him from afar. We're equally capable of going our own way, making our own decisions and surpassing men in everything, except perhaps for sumo fighting. You'll be very hard put to convince me otherwise.) :)

I wouldn't deny Pitt his acting abilities, (though he is not my favourite) but as for the rest (of decisions) Angelina is old and responsible enough to be able to make them and carry them out herself. (Seven Years In Tibet is wonderful, thought I'd give credit for that to Annaud and the writers before Pitt.)

ill-advised - as much as I hate to admit it, you're right. No guns were used in the process. It just amazes me that Ange who's always been this liberal thinking girl, so independent, is now just like any other woman in H-wood. It seems that women cannot be single there, but she was and she didn't seem like she needed a man to feel secure and be confident about herself. It doesn't surprize me that she's now living with someone (even if that someone is Pitt); what does, however, is the rushing into this pregnancy when she already has two small children. I detest and hate Holywood parents because with some VERY rare exceptions they just don't seem to be able to raise "normal" children or enable their children to grow up to become responsible, thoughtful and considerate human beings.

Anyway, perhaps I was wrong about Ange. All the confidence and self-esteem aside, she's gone through 2 marriages at the age of 30 already, so maybe she only looks like she doesn't need a man by her side.


Blogger Bo said...

I won't comment on your comment, after all I don't know the real arguments here. But I can observe for example that it's hard to have kids these days and it's hard also to be without them. I don't have any. What I will do now, I will try to watch Seven Years in Tibet somewhere, then, some years latter, I hope to have some children on my own.

I was thinking about Legends of the Fall and I agree with what you said on the other film, Tibet, that the charm of the movie lies strongly in the Montana scenery and James Horner's score, and not so much in Pitt himself. But he does fit, that Pitt, particularly well in that movie, won't you agree, with that uncompromising will mixed irresistible gentleness of his. They say all men are a bit homosexual, ha.

And well, perhaps this is not SO off the line: we, men, are so extremely unfortunate that it's almost unbearable, for we can't have children on our own, so what we do instead? I will tell you what we do, you can look at pollen grains in water under the microscope and you will observe the same kind of phenomena, - we do Brownian motion, unfocused, never satisfied. Ok, we can study, read books, hike the mountains, make peace, war and love, but that's not it! Oh that makes me angry. Women, on the other hand, know their means of fulfilling: giving births, the more the better. It's a fact. Angelina Jolie is a smart woman, although really not that good of an actress (hey, that goes along with your dialogue in the post, - while Brad knows how to act he has no difficulties persuading Angelina into anything he want), who want to be fulfilled. I say good for her. It's a womanly thing, it's what makes you heavenly. I would expect everybody to feel just great about it. So I beg your pardon, but it's not nice to bend anthropological facts, will you think about that?

And please don't kill me. :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Kill you?

No, I'm above such nonsense as revenge.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I'm not claiming Jenifer was the only right woman for Brad. They were rocky for months, so it was bound to happen with or without Angelina.

I was trying to say that I feel they're rushing (as is the Hwood habit) and it doesn't usually produce good results. Or happy children. I think even if Ange and Brad do marry they're not bound to last long. Not till death do us part.




[ Post a Comment ]