Sunday, December 18, 2005

Recent updates and a whole lot of random ramblings (aka finally living up to my title)

I have recently updated the links section ("Blogs I read" in the sidebar), which was added to this blog rather uncautiously as I only wanted to have one, but (to tell the truth) didn't really know which blogs to link in it.

Now, after much consideration I decided to link three new blogs in it. La Poulette, because she's funny and has a real command of the language (contrary to the vast majority of other posters and probably myself included); and Slepo Črevo, because it's the only Slovenian blog I read. And the only one I find good enough to be worth the time I spend there.

There are quite a few Slovenian blogs in the Slovenian blogs section of si.blogs, but I rarely read any of them except for the above mentioned one. I used to read Big Whale's blog, but I found it boring. Not because it's not funny, because it is (at least more than me) but because there seem to be but three topics in his universe. His children (who look very sweet), his work & other geekish stuff I don't even pretend to understand and some random posts that make no sense (or are just late night-early morning attempts at being philosophical) - at least not to me.

I tried and quite liked Gaby's blog but the reason I rarely read hers these days is that she posts very rarely and I consider blog a medium where additions need to be made at least once a week (if it's a personal blog). Also, she only posts about her children and though I have a soft spot for children under 7 years of age, this is a bit too much for me. I understand that having children is a big change in your life and that it's something worth writing about, but all I seem to read in her blog are complaints. So yes, your children are not turning exactly the way you would like them to. So what? Does one have children just so they would be a replica of your wishes and current mood swings? Honestly, if I were one of the kids and reading that blog I'd feel it's all my fault and that I was a horrible child. Is that what she's trying to say? I don't think so. I know having and raising children is a big, big job and that it's exhausting and everything, but that comes in the package with the nice moments when you hear your children smile or see them laugh or feel them throw their tiny arms around your neck and say "I love you, mommy." And I don't get that feeling from Gaby's blog. What I mean is that just by reading her blog I get the feeling her children are these little beasts who never want to sleep and keep wreaking havoc and throwing tantrums all over the place. And I'm sure this is not the case. At least not always.

I read very few Slovenian blogs and out of the few that I did read none seem to be above average. They (and I guess other people could very rightly say that for my blog) seemed dull and lifeless. Some try to discuss very imporant existentialist questions in them - and fail utterly, the others try to confine to memory every random thing that's happened to them. (Come to think of it - is what I'm writing normal, is it even interesting? The Web counter says there are new visitors and also returning visitors, but I have a sinking feeling that the pompously called returning visitors are just Google bots making a mental note I've updated my blog.)

Among the English blogs I sometimes read Carniola (do I really need to link it? I think everybody already had this blog bookmarked anyway), but I don't find it very interesting, though it is superbly written. I don't know whether it's that I'm a Slovenian or what but I don't find all the statistics and the eternal Slovenia/Slovakia mixup interesting. Additionally, I don't care if all Americans think that the cook on the box of Choco Pops is pouring the milk into the bowl of cereals from his pelvic region because I pour my milk from a carton and couldn't care less how the cook does it.

Also, worthy of mention (and the one linked) is Ill-advised, but I have to confess that I don't necessarily posess the endurance to read all of his (rather lengthy) posts. Wonderful language, though. Actually, he's quite a role model for me in that respect. We don't seem to be reading the same kind of books (and that might be a loss) but if we did, I'm sure there'd be no stopping me posting comments on his blog in manner of: "So you definitely loved the Patient, then?"

Evidently, I'm not gifted with brevity (might be what repells people from actually reading the contents of this blog and replying ot them), as I only wanted to emphasize the fact that I updated links in the sidebar.

Mission (brevity) : failed.

posted by Nadezhda | 09:37


6 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greeting, young padawan blogger! It is with amusement that I read your postings and find them, shall we say, similar to other si.bloggers.

Now let`s see, your blog has been up for four months. Well done. According to the "three months" rule of blogging that means that there is a very high possibility you`ll remain with us. Sharing your thoughts and insights.

However, the idea of a "good" and "bad" blog escapes me. For me, the only bad blog is either a) blog with posts about how there is nothing to post or b) blog filled with obvious lies and factual mistakes. Other blogs are super-fine and worth reading, eventhough they do not meet your high-end standards of blogging. Your insights on the material on other blogs are as good as any, however, in my opinion, you should not try to impose your way onto others (unless in a case where you correct factual errors of others or tell them to get the fuck away from here if they have nothing to say).

I think the exact diversity of opinions and different points of view is what makes the blogosphere great. And what keeps it from becoming either a) a place for the mentally ill or b) a dull, barren land where nothing happens. And we should not impose on other authors how and what to write. Just cause we have certain stereotypes about certains position in life does not mean everybody have to live up to it.

So judge not blogs above or below average, but treat each and every one of them as a unique gem, a window through which you can see a part of the world that would be forever obscured otherwise.

The primary of any blog is that somebody writes it. And secondary that someone reads what is has been written. And not the other way around.

Take care.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is awesome. I love your thoughts. More, more!


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Cookie - I never wanted to say or even imply that other blogs are not good or that they couldn't have their own circle of devoted readers. I only pointed out that so far I have found few blogs that I enjoyed although I read blogs more often than I post anything on my blog.


Blogger Bo said...

I've been suprised for ever how some people have so much to say.

I can only think of: e^(i*Pi) = 1, so god is, and that's it.


Blogger Bo said...

But the address "Greeting, young padawan blogger!" is a good one.

Did you the meaning of padawan?


Blogger Bo said...

KNOW,
Did you know ... (comments are eating some of my words!)




[ Post a Comment ]