Sunday, January 01, 2006

Contemplating holidays

The message about crazy drivers has well sunk in (I hope) but to fool you that I left it there that long only to serve as a reminder would be childish. You should know, however, that I've been extremely busy.

On Friday I went to visit an ex-school mate of mine, who now lives with her boyfriend. She's such a heart warming person! I laughed loudly (it's a good work-out for the abs) and heartily to her remarks and have managed to be funny a few times, which alone is an achievement. Boyfriend and I had a lovely time there and were a bit sorry to go, but unfortunately at 1.45 in the morning we were not able to pretend (anymore) that our eyes are still open, just a different (sort of skin-like) colour.

I woke up late on Saturday - at 11 o'clock. Anytime sooner than that would be indecent in anybody who's keen on doing something worthwile on the last day of the year. I read Order of the Phoenix, ate breakfast and then seriously contemplated what to do next for an hour and a half. I decided running would be the best option. Not being too lazy, I jogged the 5 kilometres (met a friend of mine, another ex-school mate, and chatted with him a bit) and took a good long shower. Then we had lunch and I did the dishes (look at me - such exemplary benevolence even that late in the year, when Deda Mraz has his parcels wrapped and ready to go, I didn't cease to be helpful!).

I read for a short time, then got ready to go. Boyfriend, I and a couple of friends went to Koper. We booked a table at a Chinese restaurant. After we had eaten, we went to listen to Tinkara Kovac's live performance. We counted down to New Year's (and didn't forget the extra second) and then watched the fire works. I like watching the fireworks, but absolutely HATE fire crackers. I wonder why some people cannot do without them? (The later being a serious existentialist question, I suppose.) Anyway, some bloke thought it'd be fun to put some serious fire crackers to work, so he lit what could have been the junior brother of a real bomb, it was so loud. Boyfriend and his gang of male-friends reckoned they've never heard/seen anything like it and that as far as they knew, nothing like this ever (legally) reached the shop shelves.

We then meditated for a while on this subject and vaguely wondered whether the Chinese who run the restaurant got some of the fire crackers cheap from their relatives in China and now made a business of selling them to as many locals as they could. The sad part of the story is that some policemen only stood there and observed, asked some by-standers to remove themselves to a safer distance, but obviously it was not within their power to do something about these "bomb" crackers. (Isn't it interesting that when the police don't do anything, it's always beyond their power and authority?)

We got back home at two a.m. and got to bed. (Actually I am a bit concerned because even my parents aka folks that are three decades older than me, got to bed later. The only thing I can offer in my apology is that I've never been much of a party animal but rather a person who needs LOTS of beauty sleep. Mind you, I look fabulous, so you can't really blame me for going to bed early.)

Today boyfriend and I woke in time to listen to the broadcast of the concert by Wiener Philharmoniker. Actually, this's been the first time in years when I've listened to it. Then we drove to my place and had a lunch with my family. My cousins also came and after having argued which film to go and see at the cinema, we decided not to go at all. We resorted to the tested and tried watching of Allo Allo.

It's now been two hours since boyfriend and cousins have departed and I still haven't finished this post. This brings to my mind some thoughts I had earlier this week about the proper name of this blog. I thought it would be better off as "An Hour Wasted" or "The Wasted Hour", but bearing in mind today, it would be best to name it - "Wasted Hours".

I've been dissatisfied with "Random Ramblings" for a while now and I'd like to know, whether you, dear readers (and not to forget the most faithful Google bot), think this blogs needs to be renamed or not. Any suggestions for the title are most welcome.

P.S. Naturally, I've made my New Year's resolutions and I'll be posting them tomorrow. I am going to write the post about medical school this coming week as well. I offer my sincerest apologies to anyone who has been looking forward to this particular post. In my defence I can only say that the holidays are tough on people (most notably myself) and that should you feel this is not really so - take my word for it! :)

posted by Nadezhda | 19:25


2 Comments:


Blogger ill-advised said...

"Wasted Hours" doesn't sound bad at all (unless perhaps a bit too self-deprecatory?). If you are more poetically inclined, perhaps Byron's "Hours of Idleness" would also do nicely.

I wonder what Googlebot would suggest. :) It's probably only a matter of time before a "name my blog" feature gets added to labs.google.com :)


Blogger Simon said...

I just thought I'd return the comment. *admiring your writing skills*




[ Post a Comment ]