Tuesday, December 27, 2005

A cathartic Christmas


What could be better than to have a cathartic Christmas?

Like every year, it began with a row. I guess this goes to prove that my family like any other - is normal. People who don't row don't feel much for each other. While rowing isn't my favourite bit of it all, I like the opportunity it gives - to forgive and forget and be friends again. Actually, I expected us to fall out, because it happens every year on Christmas. I don't know why exactly then but there it goes...

Anyway, once that was sorted out, my holidays were very fine. (This also being the reason why I didn't post during the weekend as promised.)

I went ice-skating on the evening of 24th and then spent the rest of the evening with my boyfriend. I slept over at his place and returned home the next day. 25th was spent relaxing and watching episodes of 'Allo 'Allo, a "newly" discovered funny material. I remember it being on television back in the 90s, but I never watched it then, though I cannot remember why. I saw a few episodes this year while on summer holidays but it took me this long to actually borrow the tapes and start watching them. It's one of the very few sit-coms I like. Now, naturally I have a problem: I can't stop watching it.

This year was special also because I got very nice presents, which is not always the case. My parents gave me thermal underwear (to keep me warm while running in winter) and a muffin pan, which I once had but (to general amazement) managed to lose. It's easy enough to lose a pair of socks, but to lose a pan, one has to be an expert.

My boyfriend gave me a lovely Marks and Spencer scarf and Harry Potter companion books: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander and Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp. My brother gave me the least expected (and therefore all the more precious) gift - a paperback Order of the Phoenix, which was the only book I didn't have from the Harry Potter saga. I'm currently re-reading it, hoping to come across some hints I overlooked the first time. I'm also toying with the idea to write an editorial for Mugglenet, but am for now undecided.

My boyfriend's parents gave me a HUGE mug (I think it must hold about half a liter of liquid) and two nice teas. They're both herbal teas because I can't drink (much) green tea anymore. (On this note - I think my iron level must be improving because my pulse is lower when I run and also I tire later - this is very good news for me.) Lately I've been drinking lots of herbal teas - I've discovered some old stocks of dried herbs, apparently my mother used to dry them herself but then forgot she had them in the first place. I've taken a liking to chamomile tea, which is just delicious with a tea spoon of honey.

I am so happy I got these nice presents this year - so happy actually that I had to write about this before I posted more about medical school. But I will keep my promise - later this week!

P.S. For your amusement - Allo Allo quotes!

posted by Nadezhda | 09:41


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]