Thursday, December 22, 2005

I want to be a doctor when I grow up...


...Well, I didn't.

(Thinking about what to write next on this blog it hit me that I never explained why I decided to study what I study. It's not a really fascinating story, but then I might not be as fascinating a person as I would perhaps like to be. And it doesn't matter, because more or less me and one Google bot alone read this blog.)


When I was very young (before I went to school) I wanted to be a teacher in the morning, a hair-dresser in the afternoon and a flight attendant at night. I guess you're born with some character traits, because how else could one explain this early manifestation of the "use your time well" me of the present? My reasoning was such: children go to school in the morning (at least I did) and you have nothing to do in the afternoon and evening if you're a teacher. People are at work in the morning and only have time to go to the hair dressers' in the afternoon. I knew that there were flights during the day, too but it only made sense to fly (and work as a flight attendant) at night, because I could then sleep on the plane as well. How exactly I would get back to the school where I was teaching the next morning (were I to take an evening flight to Paris) I never got to consider.

A while later (once I started school) I would settle for being only a teacher. This decision persevered with me all throughout grammar school and even during the first year of High school. In high school I soon discovered that not everyone likes to learn just as much as I do. I realized I would be forcing the children to be quiet and listen and co-operate when they had no intention of doing so. While I still maintain that a good teacher can make all the difference in the world, the substance to stimulate (supposedly natural?) curiosity in children and thus enhance the learning process is yet to be invented. Thus ended the "I want to be a teacher" part of my life.

Then I decided to study biology and choose "molecular biology" in my second year. It was when my mother accidentally remarked: "What about medicine?" Considering the fact that my uncle's a doctor it took me a while to consider this option. All right, I did have a brief period of "wanting to be a doctor" in 6th or 7th grade when thinking about being a female surgeon appealed to me immensly. But that wasn't at all serious. I was thinking how cool it'd be to be a surgeon, but I never considered this to be the path I'd actually take.

Anyway, I was torn between biology and medicine. The idea of studying medicine appealed to me because, however lame (and I'm-a-candidate-for-miss-world) it may sound I also wanted to do something in my life that would help people - perhaps not on a global scale, but at least I could help a few people and that would be enough for me. Also, if I studied medicine I could pursue the same professions I could with a degree in biology and more - the ones I couldn't with a degree in biology. The diversity of professions that a medical degree offered was what convinced me.

I filled out my aplication form, did well on my Matura exam and before I knew it I was a medical student.

(Being a med student is a wonderful experience and I will write about it in the future. Next entry should be expected at the weekend.)

posted by Nadezhda | 13:52


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]