Thursday, March 01, 2007

Choosing books to read

Tina asked me a very long time ago how I chose my books and at first I thought the answer was simple. I just did. How I did (and why) I had no idea.

The first thing you have to know about me is that I love libraries. For a time I even wanted to become a librarian. Being a bit of a tightwad I like the fact that you can borrow as many books as you like for a small yearly fee. However, depending on libraries has its disadvantages. The popular or the good books are hard to come by, and sometimes I'm angered by the fact that the libraries do take excellent care of their romance section, but hardly ever think of buying the (English original) book of a reputed author. With my knowledge of English reading translations is just a very merciless sort of self-punishment. The originals are better in everyway.

So, whenever I go to the library I always stop at the "we recommend" shelf and check what's popular. I also regularly read the section of newspaper dedicated to new books. I often grab a copy of Bukla magazine in order to check out the newly published gems. And on top of that I try to read as many 19th and 20th century writers as I can. I often read book versions of the films I've seen, too.

I seem to have an amazing capacity for remembering book titles and authors. And when I want to appear extra organized, I jot down a few words on a pad of paper. For a time I also used a small notebook for this purpose but I have since abandoned the practice.

Still, I haven't explained how I choose my books, because it's not easy to do so. I check the shelves of the library and when I spot a book I particularly feel like reading today/this week, I borrow it. When late last year I heard that Kate Winslet was in a film, made after a very successful book (Little Children by Tom Perrota) I went straight to a book shop and bought it.

What I read is very often a reflection of how I feel. When I'm stressed out, I would grab a copy of a light, humorous romance (the sort Helen Fielding writes), when I have time, I would borrow/buy a book that demands a bigger percentage of brain dedicated to the task of reading.

I try to read contemporary authors as well as works of past masters. On top of that - from time to time - I like to read a Slovenian author, though I generally prefer foreign authors. Sometimes I read a Slovenian top seller, but that's very rare.

I'm sorry there isn't more to say on the subject, but the more I think of it, the more I realise, that there is no plan or intention of what to read next. I simply choose a title from hundreds I have stored in my head, the one I most feel inclined to reading.

And how do you choose your books?

Labels:

posted by Nadezhda | 16:40


6 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have something akin to a stable of favorite authors whose new stuff I faithfully read as soon as they publish (Roth, Wallace, Eco, Pelevin, Houellebecq, Eggers, Kalfus, and Haruf) and occasionally I'll pick up something that I've read a promising review of. It helps to have Amazon alerts, because I don't think I could keep track of them all anymore.

Coincidentally, I just saw Little Children last night and really loved it. How did you like the book?


Blogger Nadezhda said...

To tell the truth, I didn't finish the book (yet). I started reading it and liked it a lot, but then it became very predictable, very Madame Bovary-like and I couldn't read further. I do intend to finish it, though. :)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are many interesting and some not that interesting books for me. I like pop-and-serious science, sci-fi, history drama, autobiographies etc. Although in general I have problems with choosing a good book. While I don't think it's possible to pick the best one, I try, of course, but I am never fully disappointed. Every page normally tells me some, and all of them many things.

What I really wanted to point out is this. When I like somebody, I am easily induced by with his recommendations. This is how I read fantasies Songs of Ice and Fire and Dune, and I am very grateful to that two persons. I've followed many such trails. Going with the flow?, yes and no. :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Robert - that's certainly a reason to keep posting reading lists and/or short summaries of books I read.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it can go in reverse too; one first recommends a good book, and then I start to like him. Only kidding. :)


Blogger jin said...

There are two ways I come to new books. First, there are those I have the intention to read because I hear or read some good review or somebody sugested it to me or it is just a must read (as some books are). So I read Dune only last month, even if I desired to read it long time ago. But because my reading list is long, while I don't have enough time, I move slowly.

The second way goes like this, and I must say I fear going to bookstores with any money in my pocket because I always end up buying something: First of all, I scan the covers and titles, take a look at the back. This is the first test. Then I open the book somewhere in the middle and read some sentences. If I like the style I get to the first page, read some more. Then I ask myself 'man, will you again waste some mone on this' and I put it back on the shelf. Well, it doesn't help much, I just check a lot of books and can't help it but like at least 10 or 20. Gosh, then I choose one and take it with me and think that there must be some devilish trick in books to urge me so spend money on them.

Well, there are still libraries :)




[ Post a Comment ]