Monday, May 22, 2006

Published.


All this talk about how much I like and adore the Harry Potter series and so little proof to back it up. Now you have at least two of those. The first one is a (cropped) screen shot of my W.O.M.B.A.T. test results, the other is that a Harry P. editorial I wrote some time ago for Mugglenet got published. (Hooray!)

It's been quite a while, so I thought they might not have considered my editorial good enough for posting. Especially as after I had written and submitted the editorial, I found several discussions that were basically saying the same thing. My thesis (and I'm fairly certain of it) is that Lily (=Harry's mother) performed the Fidelius Charm. It's not a big thing which could help us decipher the ending of Book 7 (supposedly Ms. Rowling's already got the title for it, but she won't - naturally- reveal it), but it is essential, because it helps us understand how a young, though very talented witch like Lily could have performed as immensely complicated spell as the Fidelius Charm. It also sheds light on the fact that the switch in the Secret-Keeper was made at the last possible moment and no one apart from the Potters, Sirius and Pettigrew knew about it. Anyway, this is explained in more detail in the editorial, so you might want to read it.

Another improvement - I finally persuaded boyfriend to read the HP series. He began in winter, around the New Year's and then got stuck halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban. His progress was slow and he constantly complained how he hated that she made the Dursley's such baddies. Then (in April) we went for a short trip to the sea-side (which boyfriend adores) and I (my meanest, black-mailing person) said we could go again as soon as he finishes books 3 and 4. Then he sort of got hooked, the story became much more interesting and as he didn't see Order of the Phoenix (the film's only coming out next summer), he was (I suppose) curious as to what happens in the next book. He read book 5 and then he just proceeded to read book 6. He's not yet as hooked, he's not quite become the HP sleuth I hoped him to be, but the ending of 6 is mysterious enough that I managed to develop a theory, and upon that, he shared his thoughts. The sole fact that he keeps asking when book 7's supposed to be out is enough to assure me that he liked the series more than he's willing to admit it.

Why am I so proud of the fact that he's read the book? Well, I can now tell him about the theories I've read in Mugglenet Editorials, I can ask him for his opinion, I can give my opinion and there's an almost endless subject for discussion. I only wonder one thing - when book 7 is published - who's going to read it first? Or are we going to read it in turns? Both at one time?

posted by Nadezhda | 11:37


8 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'd do badly at the W.O.M.B.A.T. test, but at least I'd like to take a look at it. Where does one find the bloody thing? Google doesn't seem to be very halpful.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Mitja - I'm sorry, but WOMBAT was only available from J.K. Rowling's official website and that for a limited time only. After a few days, they closed the "exam" and started "marking" it. The results were then delivered by owls :) a few days later. If you're interested in a HP quiz, then you can check out Trivia section of Mugglenet (http://www.mugglenet.com/games/trivia.shtml).

Belgothiel - do you know about the Leaky Cauldron then? What about the HP Encylopedia or MuggleCast (Mugglenet's podcast)? The editorial's not very long, so it shouldn't take you much time and thanks for congratulations. I was most excited to see it published.

Good luck with persuading boyfriend. It took me a year and a half, but at least now he likes it! :) He's even considering reading the Discworld series. I haven't read that myself, but am glad that he's willing to read more fiction/prose as opposed to more Google news. ;) Hope the chemistry exam goes well!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think I had you down as a non-geek.

Only thing left to do is hook you to some real fantasy. ;)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Yeah, Owca, I know, but that might prove to be the more difficult part of it. :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

No, no, the exam's definitely on topic! Congratulations! :)

You're welcome. I think Leaky and Mugglenet are two great resources for HP fans. Then your boyfriend is very much like mine. But I hope he'll read more fiction from now on. Keeping my fingers crossed.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Oooh, French, huh?! I speak German also, so I might try my hand at the German version of Potter, but I'm not too sure that'd help a great deal, as my problem is not being unable to understand German, but to speak it! :(

I hope you have a great time at our fellow Slavic country! :)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent blog here. love the writing.

since i've seen a few posts related to medicine, there's a forum for med students maybe you would find it useful:

http://www.medstudentz.com


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Thanks, mo, for the praise. It's always nice to get positive feedback. I checked out your blog and find it interesting and will definitelly read ir once I have a bit more free time. And thanks for the link as well!




[ Post a Comment ]