Tuesday, May 09, 2006

(Un)recognizable

I'm one of those people who think that other people don't remember them, especially if we weren't even properly acquainted. So I was quite surprized when in the middle of my mid-morning reverie someone stopped me on Trubarjeva Street the other day.

He: "Hi! How did the meeting go?"
Me: (a confused expression on my face, my start-with-stuttering-programme ready to roll) "Uh, um..."
He: "So, what did he say, when's our next meeting?"
And then it hit me that he was talking about my meeting our olfactory seminar mentor earlier that day. I was supposed to ask the mentor when our presentation will be; I went to see him alone as a representative of our group.
Me: "Oh, yeah, that was arranged for next week."

We exchanged a few more words and then he bade goodbye. I didn't remember him being in the same group as I was, but as we're quite a large group, so that wasn't too frustrating for someone who's reportedly good with faces'n'names.

Walking further along the street I thought: "But bloody hell, if I know how he remembered who I was and that I was to go see our mentor." Then it hit me. I was wearing a pistachio-green sweater, a skirt and pink shoes. I was carrying a large box of muffins and a large plastic bag on top of my purse. It just might be that I stood out a little in a crowd who normally wears jeans and sweaters and trainers. Maybe people do notice me only to find me impolite when I don't greet them. They might think I'm some snobby character, when in reality I don't greet them because I don't know whether they'll remember me and I don't want to (seemingly) issue "hellowhowdoyoudos" to "strangers".

posted by Nadezhda | 14:28


4 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe it was preforming a specific function (being a representative) differencing you? I find that a much more plausible association.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I'm not quite sure what you mean to say, Owca.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

tess is absolutely correct (in reading my mind at the very least ;)).


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Thanks for that explanation, both of you! :) Yes, maybe he remembered me because of that; it's very likely that he did. I was just surprized, because I remembered a lot of people from the group, but not him.




[ Post a Comment ]