Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fragments


In March my contract with my mobile telephony provider expired. As the said provider really, really wants me to remain their customer, they're now offering me a broad selection of mobile phones to choose from. Provided I sign the contract for two more years, I can buy a mobile at a discounted price.

My current mobile has some disadvantages and the one that bothers me most is that it does not have a camera. If it did, I would have posted a photo of a horseman riding his horse on Zaloška street and a few examples of teenagers trying to mimick JLo's look, but failing admirably. (Perhaps it is your luck that I do not have a camera on my mobile after all. Otherwise this would soon turn into a fashion police patrol blog.)

Anyway, I was just thinking on my way home last week that it might be a neat idea to get a new mobile (plus camera) cheap. When I was reading the newspaper during lunch the other day, however, I felt slightly different about the subject. Now, if it wasn't some form of divine intervention I can hardly explain why the newspaper boasted several short notices about people who had their mobiles stolen lately. One of the victims also got badly beaten over a mobile worth 10 000 tollars (about 40 euro). And suddenly buying a new mobile seemed to vanish from my priority list. In fact, getting a new mobile was completely gone from my thoughts. Instead, I started thinking that I seriously need new ballet tights.

Lucky for me at least no dancer ever had their tights stolen...

*
I am allergic to pollen. I was allergic to pollen as a child and then the allergy subsided and for more than a decade and for all classifications I could well say I was functionally not allergic. Then someone talked me into eating a tea-spoonfull of pollen with yoghurt every day as part of my breakfast with the intention of boosting my immune system. It did indeed boost my immune system - in fact, too much for I became allergic to pollen. It was in April, a short way before my final exams and I didn't want to mess up my review period and so I went to see a doctor and ask her why my nose was runny all the time and why my eyes pricked from time to time.
"Ooooh, she said, that's easy. - You're allergic to pollen. "
And I replied: "You are mistaken. I was allergic to pollen, but that's over now."
She smiled mysteriously (as a future doctor I regret to say that I still haven't quite mastered the way doctors smile mysteriously when they want to tell you you're being idiotic, but can't.) and gave me aprescriptionn.

I consumed all the pills and was fine. Next year the allergy was milder, almost nonexistent and so was last year, so I never even went to the doctor's. A few days of runny noses and all was fine. This year, it's been a living hell. My eyes prickle (I will have to carry eye drops with me all the time, obviously), my nose is runny and all the work I seem to do in a day is reduced to blowing my nose and making my eyes red with all the finger-poking.

Whenever I arrive home, I close the windows of my room and keep indoors. It's such a shame, since it's a lovely spring and I love to take frequent walks across the city centre. (I walk anyway, but my eyes and nose strongly object to such behaviour.) The problem is ballet - doing a pirouette with a runny nose is not what I'd classify as enjoying myself. Luckily for me, the classes are in the morning, when there's not so much pollen in the air. But by midday the matters become unbearable and I frequently consume a whole pack of tissues in an hour.

Just before I started writing this post I realized that apart from one packet of tissues we've run out of them. Time to befriend the toilet roll, I think...

posted by Nadezhda | 20:22


5 Comments:


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Well, Tess, maybe it was just a strange coincidence, but from then on I can't even smell the thing
(I get extremely nauseous and start retching) and had to throw a full jar #2 away. But yes, maybe it was a coincidence and my alergy cycle just entered the bad phase. Or maybe it just wasn't right for me.

I can't bear the thought of eating bee pollen (mine's not in capsules), but I'll try to drink lots of water.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I knoooow. ;) Yes, I ate the first jar and then quit, because it didn't seem to have any effect on me. About 1 month later I was allergic to pollen again after 12 years.

Funny, how these things happen.


Blogger Bo said...

"I still haven't quite mastered the way doctors smile mysteriously when they want to tell you you're being idiotic, but can't."

! :)

I saw this today. It's not the same thing, but it's still about what to say, how to say it, still medical, and funny: Calvin doesn't quite feel like going to school.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Does Calvin EVER feel like going to school? :)


Blogger Bo said...

No, and yes:
- when it snows so the school closes he would obviously like to go to school, but can't!!
- he loves the school lunch times, when he tells his yummy snail tales to Suzy. Hey, where did she go?




[ Post a Comment ]