Friday, January 27, 2006

King Kong (2005, Peter Jackson)


I can safely say that King Kong isn't Peter Jackson's greatest work. He was working on this project for the last two years, but I was rather disappointed by the end result.

Knowing I was about to see a three-hour film, I braced myself for something highly reminiscent of Lord of the Rings. I was certain I was about to see a real cure for sore eyes. I was wrong. The film is overlong. While I could watch the extended edition of LotR, Return of the King, which is over four hours, without a break, there were several moments in King Kong when I checked my watch to see just how much longer will this take to end. It is not my habit to check the time when watching a film, however the middle part of Kong stretches and stretches into eternity and a good cut would do the film a favour. The story begins and ends in New York, both of the parts take about an hour, perhaps slightly more. Then there's the middle part, when the party is either traveling to or is on the Skull Island. That part is just too long, mainly because it has nothing big to contribute to the plot (apart from a big, hairy, vengeful monkey). There are several (in any case too many) scenes where the sailors or the movie crew fight the dinosaurs, spiders and other terrible creatures. And after the first ten minutes of one character being hunted by a particularly nasty Tyranosaurus rex, and then another of the same species and finally by a third specimen of the kind, you sort of start felling they overdosed the dinosaur parts. Whether CGI people were writing begging letters to Jackson, to let them work on Kong, because they have children to feed, I don't know. One thing is certain: too many creatures, too little plot. The creatures were admittedly horrible. Whoever designed them must have really terrifying night mares. (And I thought my night mares were bad...)

As I said previously, these creatures should be incorporated into the action sequences. The middle part of Kong is just one huge action sequence, which (I feel) is unsupported by any substantial plot, apart from the lady being kidnapped and then given as a yearly (?) tribute to the giant monkey; at which point her colleagues find she's missing and they form what seems a rescue party with suicidal intentions. At the heart of this rescue party is Adrien Brody as a screenplay writer, who's fallen for the lady and naturally feels, he can't live without her anymore and so it is but natural that he go and save her. Apart from a few more convincing scenes, their love is nothing more than platonic and there are no sparkles flying. I must, however difficult it might be, admit that I've been nursing a soft spot for Adrien Brody ever since I saw The Pianist and predicted that he's going to win that year's Oscar. (The fact that his nose is crooked does not make my resolve any less firm, but thanks for asking.) So I was a little reluctant to go and see a film where he'll be falling for another girl. However, after having seen the film, I can safely say that Naomi Watts is no real threat to our (mine&Adrien's) happy future together. To be exact, I thought that the monkey and Watts had more chemistry between them. Because Brody and Watts' relationship was so superficial, it was difficult for me to understand why exactly would he go into the wild, full of the world's (long extinct) foulest creatures to save her. And let me also say, however painful it is, that Brody is never going to be a huge action hero; he just lacks that machismo and self-centeredness.

Watts (at least to me) LOOKS very 1930s. She tried to get into the role and for the most part, she succeeded. She however, is more cute than fatal. How she could be a femme fatale for a monkey is beyond my comprehension. Maybe it's just that she knows how to deal with men and how to guide them, so she can't fail with something that is, admittedly bigger, but less sophisticated. And at least the monkey cannot say: "Honey, if you don't behave, say goodbye to that cashmere coat," so she can twist and bend the rules to her liking.

The best actor in the film would have to be Jack Black. A film director, obsessed with making spectacular movies that will sell, you can almost see the dollar signs flashing in his eyes. Mad, eccentric and ready to risk everything to get rich, he was simply the most powerful character in the film.

Since one of the last lines of the film is "Beauty killed the beast" I can hardly understand if this film was really about the death of a giant monkey and why. It seemed to me to be much more about how people are prepared to go to extremes to discover something primal, something that has not yet been touched by civilization and how they make money out of that. How people are willing to risk the lives of their friends to get what they want. How people just cannot get enough of the media attention and how all this leads them to their end.

It is not a bad film, but it has its flaws. For my part, I thought LotR was infinitely better. But more about that next time.

posted by Nadezhda | 12:07


5 Comments:


Blogger Bo said...

Very humorous on the Brody-Wats-Kong love triangle! :)

I myself watch movies like this: Trying to overlook all the flaws, and enjoy the perfect bits.
I could admit that the film is not that good after all, but I won't do that. It's perfect for me. Even though the film might not be perfect, the ape is. I think it's one of the greatest things on the screen. I am sort of wondered why so few a people notice that. Kong is king.


Blogger Bo said...

Oh, I am just going through the Lord of the Rings movies one more time, this time extended editions. I am looking forward to read about your experience. It's such a thrill ride this extended editions, more enjoyable cut in my opinion.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Hmmm... I did watch all three extended edition films and I it was a pleasure. I don't know about them being more enjoyable... The material is so extensive, that they could hardly do it justice in 15 hours... Anyway, I plan on writing the "review" (again, very unprofessional :) soon, but am hindered somewhat by the fact that I have an upcoming exam and I DO NOT want to fail it.

The monkey is very realistic, the facial expression is constantly changing and those parts are really well done. However, I have problems believing that T. rexes favour human meat to the meat of a giant monkey... There are several issues like that in the film which make it less perfect. I think the script in general should have been better, because some characters have really awkward lines, that spoil the atmosphere.


Blogger Bo said...

I wonder how do people, who didn't read the books, experience the LOTR films, with their complex story, also non-linear here and there. I myself wouldn't object to 15 hours, no way! but I suspect those who didn't read the books, or those who may be ignorant of them, would object to 15 hours, or perhaps they already object to the present 10 or so hours. But hey, if I understand correctly, you read the books after you had seen the films, right? Perhaps you could comment on that. I mean: LOTR films are great films for the fans, but what about non-fans ...

Kong the ape is really well crafted. I would give him an A+. However perhaps you and I are not in a position to judge that. But I agree that Kong the film has many flaws, even though Kong the ape has none. :)
I learned some computer graphics and I guess I can cherish Kong. You can cherish him too, for you may be a doctor some day, and you have your own eyes after all. :)
This gives me an idea. I've seen a movie the other night, The Constant Gardener (2005), - which is a really good film with a truly shocking message. It deals with the developing of new drugs, which can be, roughly speaking, developed in two ways: Either they are finished in a laboratory or they are polished and sort of iterated in the field. The former method is time and money consuming, while the latter is faster and cheaper, but may be immoral and dangerous if the drug is strong and so on. This is the medical philosophy, roughly put. - See, I am not standing on firm grounds here. But perhaps you also have seen the film, or perhaps you are going to. I dearly recommend it in any way. That review of yours should be really good.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

As for the LOTR films, I did not object the length the first time I saw them. By that time I've gone through the Godfather trilogy many times and I can sit still for 3+ hours to enjoy a good film. I could deal with the complex timeline of the films just fine; I just needed some additional info (from my friends, who were fans) on subplots that weren't well developed in the films.

Now that I've read the books, seing the films was a different experience, because I saw how they changed many a timeline to create more suspense and sometimes I felt that wasn't needed.ž

Certainly with such blockbusters (which also have a firm fanbase) the filmmakers try to appeal to the widest audiences - fans and nonfans alike.

Anyone who's seen the film is in a position to judge it, even if the review is just his personal opinion. I've haven't seen Constant Gardener, but since me and Ralph Finnes have had a longterm, longdistance relationship ever since I first saw him in The English Patient, I think I might see it soon. (Soon of course being a relative term.)




[ Post a Comment ]