Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Running for life

I am taking part in running lessons. One of my obligations in a school year at University is to complete a course of 36 P.E. lessons (per year). One can take part in swimming (which I did for the last 2 years), basketball, football, yoga, pilates, aerobics class, badminton and just about every other sport imaginable. To my great disappointment fencing isn't on the list.

I've decided that it's high time I did something about my level of preparedness for physical activity. Once I started to gasp for air after having climbed two sets of stairs, it was clear to me that if I was in any form worse I'd probably be dead already. I'm in my twenties and couldn't climb stairs without feeling a bit exhausted. It's no miraculous consequence of having sat through two years of pre-medical school (and doing practically no sports - if turning pages in a book is excluded).

I did some jogging this summer. I started back in June, but went running very infrequently and that is no way one could improve. In late August I took things into my hands and decided I needed to be more serious about my approach to running. Then I went running four times a week and ran the length of 5 kilometres. In late September I had my exams and I stopped running for a while. Coming back to my previous tempo was difficult, in part because I didn't go running when it was raining and it did rain for quite some time.

So now I've decided that my best bet would be to sign up for running lessons, where we gather two times a week and run for about an hour after having done some basic warming up and stretching. We go running whether it's raining or not and will keep this up until January. This is the best way to assure that I won't stop running now that the colder season approaches with its fog and rain.

I'm going again today. And by the time I'll come home I will be feeling much better, will be more alert and functioning better in every respect. (And will have lost some weight, which was also one of the reasons that kept me going. In the last two years my weight was steadily climbing and when my trousers only barely fit I knew I must lose the excess. I've found running to be one of the fastest and surest ways of losing weight.)

posted by Nadezhda | 11:10


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]