Sunday, October 09, 2005

Harry - my other love

After I posted the post below I immediately thought of plenty of ideas for this weblog (only using the term, because my spelling checker doesn't seem to be familiar with the word "blog" even though I've tried to teach it many times. And yes, for the record, I do use a spell checker - now you may find me as simpleminded and so-out-of-your-league as you like).

The most obvious choice for this entry will be Harry. Harry Potter. Now many of you will stop reading here. Some of those brave few who will continue will either be fans of the aforementioned subject or naive people, who think I'm 10 years old. Sorry, more than a decade more than that. (Now I begin to question the choice of my subject, because by now even the naive people will have stopped reading and quite possibly never come back again. This I will consider proof enough that I'm no exhibitionist.)

The sad thing about Harry P. is that you can only have a rewarding conversation about it with another fan. No one else is willing to listen (or agree). And also with fans you don't get the "that's a book for children" look, which is more than annoying. But then those who haven't read it (with the exception of those pitiful souls who only watched the films) can't understand it. Or appreciate it. Or love it. Or overanalyze it. Or quote Hermione/Ron where appropriate.

I've only read the books last summer after being the proud owner of the first two books for over 4 years. Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets just remained put on my book-shelf waiting to be read. Last summer felt to be a good time to get over with this. I read them in 4 days. I was hooked. I finished Chamber at about four in the afternoon on Saturday and the mere thought of having to wait until Monday morning to buy the remaining books (and read them) was driving me crazy. I did somehow survive, which in retrospect was lucky for me, because I got to read 3 more HP books!

I've never read more English literature than then. About 2500 pages in under two weeks is a statement in itself. (I'm really rather proud of my ability to bring bragging about unnoticed.) Since then I've been reading Mugglenet (www.mugglenet.com) very faithfully; I especially like The North Tower and The Two-Way-Mirror (columns). I never wrote an editorial myself, but read them a lot - almost to the point where it's doing me harm. And for those, who want to have an objective account on the teenage wizard - check it out at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter).

Anyway - I'm only writing this because I'll write about some of my theories and expectations for Harry (book) 7 in the future. I might as well try to explain why I like the books so much - which isn't as easy as it might seem. But as I'm running out of time I'll do this in due course.

posted by Nadezhda | 09:37


2 Comments:


Blogger ill-advised said...

I can somewhat sympathise with this position because I used to be a bit of a Lord of the Rings fan myself some years ago. I quickly realized that there's not much use in trying to discuss it with non-fans; whatever you say about it is almost inevitably going to make it appear silly and pointless to someone who hasn't read it yet (this was before the movies came out; I'm not sure to what extent the movies change the matter), and its most likely result is to make the listener look down on both the book and me. Anyway, although I haven't read any of the HP books, I suspect that the situation may be quite similar in this respect. Heck, even Greek mythology sounds trite and pointless if you listen to summaries of it as told by e.g. a bored tour guide :) Anyway, don't let such considerations hold you back from writing about HP. I'm sure that, given its wide popularity, there will be no lack of people who are in a position to appreciate your posts.

P.S. This part of your post is really splendid:

(I'm really rather proud of my ability to bring bragging about unnoticed.)

So, this is first of all a meta-brag because it brags about bragging, and secondly it is a kind of subversive counter-brag because it brings the bragging to notice precisely by claiming that it is unnoticed.

I don't know much about these things but I think you should get a postmodernist critic to analyze and/or deconstruct it. And get them to use the word "narrative" at least three times :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Well - that was my best attempt at being funny as I suppose I don't naturally posess this quality to the extent some people do.




[ Post a Comment ]