Sunday, September 11, 2005

A writer's craft

I know it's terribly unsophisticated to begin an article with "I", but I find it most useful as it diminishes the need for big words and omnious tone which are instantly created were I to start this post with "It is universally acknowledged...".

So - I've always liked reading. And words. When I was little I'd force my parents to reread my favourite books many million times. And this hasn't changed. Only that nowadays I seem to do more reading than both my parents put together. I like rereading books. I don't have a personal record for "most reread book", because I simply don't keep a reading log, but I suppose if I did, Dostoevsky would come out on top with Crime and Punishment, which I've read about six times. I've read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix three times, but I'm afraid this number will go up a bit as I absolutely enjoyed the book. And mind you, while the latter isn't the longest book of them all, it does amount to it's 766 pages in tiny, minuscule print. The paperback edition (bigger font) has close to 1000 pages. So having done three rereads of the aforementioned books in a little more than a year is an achievement.

Anyway - rereading. The first time I read a book I usually just pour over it. I mean - I do read, but am mainly interested in the plot. If I enjoyed the book, I usually want to reread it. And when I am most busy is naturally the best time to reread a voluminous book. Sometimes I am so inspired by a book that I keep it beside my bed and reread paragraphs of this favourite book before I go to sleep. This is perhaps the reason I know half of Pride and Prejudice by heart; and I used to know a lot of The English Patient, too. For some time now, this book has been avoiding reread and I suppose it's high time I did justice to it.

So my plan for the next few months includes: finish reading The Smoke Jumper (by Nicholas Evans) and possibly reread it. Read White Teeth by Zadie Smith (this one has been on my to-do list for ages!), reread The English Patient (by Michael Ondaatje and is perhaps my all time favourite book) and reread The Hours by Michael Cunningham. I suppose I could read Farewell to Arms, too; but then again I do need to sleep and eat as well.

P.S. I also loved The English Patient on the silver screen and I am convinced Anthony Minghella did this wonderful book justice. And if I didn't already have a boyfriend, I think Ralph Fiennes should be in some danger.

posted by Nadezhda | 13:21


3 Comments:


Blogger BeeBee said...

*swoons over The English Patient* (both, the book and the movie)


Blogger Lilit said...

Interesting. I love rereading books too.

Start White teeth as soon as possible, it's great. And The english patient - one of my all times favorite.


Blogger Bo said...

Gosh, you are not a book worm, but a book nut.

Your favorite books are somewhat totally different than mine, but then, I haven't yet read yours!
We'll see.




[ Post a Comment ]