Sunday, October 23, 2005

Stephen King's wisdom

I'm thinking: "The scariest moment is always just before you start." (S. King, On Writing)

I'm taking part in 10th annual Marathon in Ljubljana; I'm running the 10 kilometer track at 11.10 tomorrow morning. I'm not overly excited by the prospect. I'm going there because I want to run the distance, burn some extra calories and become acquainted with a major running event. I want to see how it looks like, how it feels to run alongside 5000 other runners, I want to partake in the excitement before the start of the race.

How will I do? I probably won't be even close to finish when they announce the winners in my category. My estimates go for 1 hour and 15 minutes, but will allow to extend that to 1 hour and 30 minutes. My goal is to reach the finish line and to run uninterruptedly for the hour and a half. I want to keep my heart frequency low, because I'm still having problems with it (my heart goes to 185 if I run at any speed above very slow, and that still bothers me; I might be undertrained still or there might be something wrong with me - I have an appointment at cardiologist in 6 weeks' time and the TSH results still aren't in). Preferably, and if I can, I will try to keep it at 165 beats per minute, but so far I have not been able to come under 170 regardless of the sluggish speed of my running.

But in a way I can't wait, because I'm sure it will be thoroughly exciting and a very good experience. Also, it's my first time running on an actual running event, not to mention that this is a rather big event. Hopefully all goes well and my right shin doesn't give me many problems (I'm a bit concerned because all the running is done on asphalt, which is an undesirable surface - much too hard). I have already firewired (there you go - a new verb!) the latest Mugglecast (a podcast - episode 11) to my iPod and will hopefully be able to listen to it while running. Also, as a back up I have lots of fine music there as well to keep me going when the going gets tough.

I really hope my shin doesn't hurt too much, because running while in pain is much more difficult - but if it doesn't a good run and a well spent day is inevitable.

On another note - I have already started studying for my Histology with Embryology exam, which I take in late November. Better to start early than too late, especially as I am known to continually run out of time to study the materials well enough.


P.S. (Thanks to cookie) I was reminded of the mistake I made - the author I quoted is indeed Stephen King, not Michael King as I originally wrote. I offer my sincerest apologies.

posted by Nadezhda | 13:19


2 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

stephen king. not michael.

see reference link

http://www.absolutewrite.com/freelance_writing/in_the_jungle.htm


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Yeah. Sorry about that. Thanks for your correction. Will edit now.




[ Post a Comment ]