Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Awaiting Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the film

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the fourth film. From the movie stills and trailers we've seen so far, it looks decent. Supposedly it was also the most expensive film ever made, but that is just a rumour - I haven't seen it confirmed by a reliable source.

I really liked the tone and atmosphere Cuaron created for the third film - the darkness, the longing... But with every film so far I thought I would have liked it better if they really followed the books. And that goes for the little details - it wouldn't cost them one bit to change it. In Sorcerer's Stone Dumbledore says "the Dark Forest" whereas in the books it's always been the Forbidden Forest.

I appreciate the effort they put into making a 500 page novel into a two and a half hour film, but they should have relied on the material in the book rather than creating their own version of everything. I don't mind them cutting S.P.E.W., neither Winky and Dobby as I realize they're rather an addition to the action, not its essence. I don't mind their cutting Bagman and Percy and the Ministry stuff; I could live without Bertha Jorkins being mentioned in the movies... But my real concern is that people who have never read the books (or at least the fourth one) won't have the advantage of knowing what an excellent plot twist there really is (and how many people are involved in it) and are likely to think it very simplified and plain - at least the way it is portrayed in the film.

That being said, I hope Radcliffe and Grint (who play Harry and Ron, respectively) improve on better (that is - fourth) acquaintance. I've never esteemed Grint's acting abilities highly, but was glad to see at least a little improvement in Radcliffe. In Watson's (Hermione) acting abilities I have complete confidence and I really hope she manages to bring about "Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl!" with all the vengefulness she can muster.

And I'm also looking forward to see Hagrid trying to comb his hair and court Madame Maxine, although I think their "relationship" has been too Hollywoodized in the film.

Awaiting 8th December.

posted by Nadezhda | 12:53


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]