Friday, August 10, 2007

Watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (David Yates, 2007)


I've never been a fan of the Harry Potter films. What I love and appreciate about the books - the complexity of the plot and certain characters - just never seems to be conveyed in the films. And when I heard that the last film, Order of the Phoenix is actually the shortest of all filmed so far, whereas the book is the longest, I already thought I might not like it.

But I do have to admit, that for the most part of the film, they really summed up the story nicely - they kept to the books, left some stuff out, but what they kept was mostly true to the books and I was relieved they weren't compelled to change anything or just make it up, like they did with many things in the previous films.

I do understand that they try to make these films attractive and interesting to watch, but what they don't realize is that sometimes they really do exactly the opposite of what is in the books, which does really annoy me. For example: in the books much time is spent on how vitally important it is that Muggles don't see wizards doing wizarding stuff (like flying on a broomstick), yet what they do in the film - insert a full scene where the Advance Guard flies with Harry right over the Thames and very close to some boats - exposed, in full view of Muggles.

Quite a bit of time is spent on the DA and Umbridge (who, by the way, is just superb!), but they also manage to mention how powerful a witch Ginny is becoming and they hint more heavily at what's going between Hermione and Ron; even give a tiny bit of a hint as to Neville's past. They have the time to deal with Harry's first love interest, Cho and give some screen time to Grawp, Aberforth and Kreacher. They have Luna also, which is just fantastic - the young actress nails Luna's character. (Something of a lesson to the actors of the trio!)

I really disliked that they cut the end, which is the most important thing in the book, short (a feat they did with Goblet as well). In fact everything was happening very fast and I wonder whether a person who hasn't read the books would have a clue as to what was going on at all.

Again, Dumbledore was abysmally acted (he sure has energy and drive, but none of Dumbledore's politeness and diplomatic ways), and despite many praises from other reviewers I really disliked Bellatrix. She was too twisted for my taste. I have never seen her (in the books) as someone who is off her rocker. Yes, she has made a decision for a life-long devotion and service to Voldemort, but that doesn't make her crazy by default. I think Helena Bonham Carter missed with this role.

In general, I wouldn't have seen this one if boyfriend wasn't keen on going to the cinema. And as of now, I have no intention of seeing the last two films, either.

Labels: ,

posted by Nadezhda | 09:51


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]