Thursday, July 19, 2007

Call me a die-hard Potter fan?


So after many complications we're finally in London. When we arrived at the ariport the car suddenly broke down and the person who drove us to the airport had problems getting back home. But at least, I thought, we were at the airport early enough. But a real shock awaited us when we got to the hotel. The receptionist said we hadn't booked a room, which we had as we also had a booking confirmation. I thought I was about to faint. Luckily he had a double room free. How on Earth we managed to recieve a booking confirmation by the hotel's manager (who is currently conviniently on vacation in Portugal) I don't know.

Another shock awaited us when we tried to unlock the room designated to us - there were people inside. Turns out the receptionist only made a mistake and we now have a room and we won't even have to switch rooms at any point.

Only when we got back to the hotel in the evening and saw the "no vacancies" sign put up did we realize just how lucky we were. No reservation and we got a room anyway.

Today we went to pick up the tickets to the Podcasting event and we're sitting in the Front area. But when we arrived at the bookshop we were stunned to see people already queuing for the release of Deathly Hallows. There are about 40 of them there right now and judging by the newspaper articles they've been there for two days. And now dare call me a real Potter fan.

Labels: , ,

posted by Nadezhda | 23:40


15 Comments:


Blogger Bo said...

Perhaps a would-be die-hard Potter fan? Had you the time ... :)


Blogger Tina said...

I'm so sorry you have the most miserable weather in London you can imagine! Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the Harry Potter fever tonight.


Blogger uf said...

Yes, you're a real HP fan, while they're obviously obsessed people who care too much about fiction... :)

And please, please, no spoilers about the DH for some time ;)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, some people called me a HP-fam, but seeing that I haven't got the book yet... just because I'm a bit broke, is sad enough, isn't it? :(


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Bo - it's true that I don't have the time to read the series 15 times like some people. But then again, I have good memory and don't need to re-read that much in order to remember everything. :)

Tina - the weather wasn't too bad. Admittedly it did rain almost every day, but since we spent a lot of time in museums and galeries, we weren't all that bothered. My only concern was that it would rain when we were queuing for Harry, but luckily - it didn't. The queue pary was such a blast - the report is coming in due course.

Lilit - well I'm not an obsessed HP fan, that's right. Have you finished reading Deathly Hallows? I'm going to wait with my review until at least some of my readers have read it so as not to render the review useless. I always try to warn you whether there are spoilers involved and I certainly will do that with DH as well.

Belgothiel - if you want the book my boyfriend has a spare copy (he's already read it) and maybe we can arrange for you to get it. Too bad you didn't order online - there were at least 50% discounts everywhere.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope to also hear a short review of other things you saw in London. Anything you would especially recommend?


Anonymous Anonymous said...

NAdhezda: I Have already read it and my sister has brought it from Sweden, when it's cheaper anyway :) Thanks for the offer. I reallly enjoyed it very very much :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Tina - just give me a bit of time. I will write a report and tell you where we went and how it was. Stay tuned. :)

Belgothiel: Oh, alright then. I'm happy you liked it. I was a bit disappointed myself but not by the book but by what I thought would be there but wasn't.


Blogger uf said...

I didn't get the book yet, actually. I refused to take part in this global folly that happened on the 20th ;) now they're mostly out of books anyway and besides, I'd really like to have the complete collection in the same style - paperback with drawings in front that you posted in your reviews. I remember for the last two books only hardcovers were available in the beginning - is it possible to get a paperback already for this one?


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Lilit - I don't know how they did it before, but now paperbak editions are typically released one year after the original hardback edition. I know they did it that way for HBP.

Are tehy really out of books now? Where did you check?

P.S. The photos I posted are UK (Bloomsbury) editions. US versions (Scholastic) have different covers.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I meant - paperback and they.


Blogger uf said...

I heard it on the radio, they asked in some bookshops and they were mostly out of them.
I know they're Bloomsbury, but there are different covers - like adult edition, special edition etc.

Seems I'll have to wait for a year, then ;) hope it'll be worth waiting for - and hope that noone will spoil it to me!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lilit, they are definetely not out of books here in London. Many bookstores and shops (they even sell it in Tesco) sell it for a discounted price of 10 GBP.


Blogger uf said...

tina, thanks for the info, but it doesn't do much help, since I don't plan going to London in the near future...


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Lilit - You could also order online. I know Scholastic (US) is reprinting HP DH and I'm sure Bloomsbury is doing the same.




[ Post a Comment ]