Sunday, September 17, 2006

Watching Super Size Me (Morgan Spurlock, 2004)



Yesterday boyfriend and I decided to watch Super Size Me. We knew the film was a documentary about the adverse effects of fast food, but were pleasantly surprized to discover it was more than just that.

Morgan Spurlock, a 33 year-old American from Manhattan in New York is flabbergasted to discover the epidemic proportions of obesity in America, where 2 out of 3 adult people are overweight or obese and omnious 37% of children and adolescents have too high percentage of body fat. When he learns about the case of two teenage girl suing McDonald's for not having informed them that they could become obese by eating their food on a regular basis, Spulock begins to wonder where personal responsibility ends and corporate responsibility begins. He decides to undergo a 30-day long experiment to prove (or disprove) the adverse effects of a McDonald's diet on health, combined with as much (or better said as little) exercise as a middle-of-the-norm American gets per day.

He starts out as an above-average healthy American and consults various doctors, life-style, nutrition and fitness experts. Nobody thinks a 30-day experiment could harm him, the doctors presume only his serum level of triglycerides (fats from food) will rise. However, as early as in 12 days' time, the results of Spurlock's blood tests are so bad as to shock everybody.

Admittedly, Spurlock's experiment was a bit extreme in that most people don't eat solely (= three times daily) at fast food joints. However, even though the time span of the experiment was shorter than the time an average American would need to eat the same amount of fast food, Spurlock's conclusions are far from being invalid. It is very important to note the physiological (weight gain, sharp rise in serum levels of cholesterol) and psychological (mood swings and lethargy) effects this kind of food has on a person and other deleterious effects on the cardiovascular and gastrointestinal systemsm (especially with prolonged consumption of such foods).

Spurlock doesn't shy away from themes like brand imprinting of children - getting young children to remember a brand so that they will buy it when they grow up - (in fewer words: get them while they're still young&naive) and the fact that the fast food industry isn't about well-being of their consumers, but like any other industry - about money. He points out a few facts; namely that very few people have any idea of the amount of energy (from food) they need per day and even less idea about the caloric content of the food they eat. Needless to say, McDonald's joints featured in this film don't hold many (or any) nutritional value factsheets. Also, in a country where the only people who walk are those who can't afford a car, where seemingly any form of exercise is considered an unneeded effort and where nobody has time to exercise, but has the time to watch every concievable reality show -- the rate of obese people hardly comes as a surprize.

Overall, I would heartily recommend viewing of this film to the young mothers and young consumers who claim that McDonald's serves as good meals as one could cook at home or get. And before you start throwing things at the computer screen, calculate the value of your last McMeal here.

So, when was the last time you ate at a fast-food joint?

Labels:

posted by Nadezhda | 13:41


6 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this movie, too. I remember I liked it and was probably shocked, but it has been long since then and it seems that the shock doesn't last that long :)

I eat junk food from time to time and I try not to worry too much about it. Otherwise I live quite a healthy life so I think that having junk food now and then is not such a big deal.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

For my part I never particularly liked this kind of food and I generally avoid it.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was much shocked when I watched this movie, because I didn't imagine it to be presented thus explicitly (filming yourself when you're vomiting??)

I always knew junk food is not healthy, and I rarely eat it at all (my mom has raised me well-concious about the dangers and, as she still does the cooking, you can imagine we have cooked, rather than fried meals)... but seeing this movie I have developed a resistance towards junk food. I still eat it, occasionally (say 5 times a year), but not if I can help it.

I think this movie could very well be part of a general education in school :) let the kids see they can actually gain weight and ruin their health by eating fast food.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Supersize me a few months ago and thought it gave a very good insight into what happens to you if you eat fast food even you don't eat as much as morgan does in such a short space of time. The affects fast food has on your body are tremendous and Morgan was went through pain so we don't have to. If you like that film, I would also recommend Fast Food Nation and Chew on This.
The time has come where we eat healthier and drink more water. I also hope cigarettes and drugs , like fast food, becomes a thing of the past too.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nadezhda, you once told us that the only thing worth loosing overweight for is health. Overweight and obese people have various problems with health, be it for example just an abnormal sweating. However, whether there is anything beside health - worth losing overweight for -, I don't know, I can't think of. Health health health. I think just everything relates health in more or less direct way, be it of body or mind.

So NO, no fast food for me, for it's a fast way to cemetery. When I am feeling peckish and on my way through a city for example, I rather starve, or fast - which is in fact a noble thing ... -, than going to Mac. I have to quote Woody Allen here.

"Life is full of loneliness, and misery, and suffering, and unhappiness, and it's all over much too quickly."

Why would we make life even more miserable? I think these post and comments are all about frankness, that is being open, sincere, straightforward.

Fast food is not frank. It's bad. This is scientifically proven, backed up by some scientists in the movie, and in the end proven by Morgan Spurlock. I like this movie, it says much, even though Spurlock is pretty mad to undergo such an experience/experiment, but then many people are that "mad".

P.S. To the movie titles mentioned in a comment above I would like to add Thank you for Smoking (2005). I haven't seen any of these titles yet, I saw their trailers, and they look very promising. - Have you also noticed how Hollywood is readily adding an honest component to an entertaining one? That's good, movies are much better, mind Lord of War (2005).


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I see we're in agreement here. Just a few quick observations:

Wonderwoman - filming even the grossest parts of the movie supposedly added realism and upped the "documentary" value of it. And while it might not have been very pleasant to watch, it was done hoping to divulge the real effects of fast food (or so I think).

Borut - people make money on all sorts of things - from selling health deteriorating food (or addictive substances such as alcohol and cigarettes) to health improving substances (e.g. healthy, fresh, organic food and medications for those more seriously ill). What one does to make money usually reflects their inner compass: moral/ethical standards.

Anonymous - thank you for contributing to this entry! I highly value all relevant responses, but please note that it makes conversation easier when you use an adopted or real name when replying to one of my posts. Referring to you by using a name is much more personal and makes people feel welcome (which is my ultimate goal).




[ Post a Comment ]