Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And after this brief ad we might be back

And I'm back from an extended weekend on the Croatian coast. I'm sorry for the delay in answering to your comments, but here are a couple of updates.

1. Bump is still there, but it's nothing major (just a severe infection). I have a check-up in a month and I hope that the bump will subside completely by that time.

2. I recieved an e-mail from one of the readers of this blog a while ago and to tell the truth it scared me a bit. I realized I write a lot of stuff on the blog and they are things that could as well (some detective work included) lead to unveiling of my identity. Unfortunately, there are readers of this blog who read it only for the pleasure they derive from getting more information on myself as it will lead further in uncovering my identity. I am horrified and a little reluctant to write more, especially as some people imagine they already know who I am, when in fact they don't. (But, needless to say, they might find out one day, whether through our mutual friends or acquaintances or other.)

The truth of the matter is that I was naive in thinking people read blogs only for content. For some it seems, the ultimate challenge is to discover who the person, (who has repeatedly claimed she wants to retain her anonymity above everything = me) is. I am appalled and shocked by my naivete. Because I refuse to give the people described above more pleasure and seek to retain the little anonymity I have left, I am considering my options.

One would be to stop writing the blog. Frankly, in the coming year with more demanding University courses, the research projects I'm about to take part in and the co-authorship of several articles I've already arranged, I'm not going to have unlimited leisure time to spend on writing my blog. It takes about an hour to write a regular post and honestly, I think I will rather go running or to a ballet class instead.

My second option would be to write reviews only and to limit the information on myself solely on the books read and films seen.

The third option would be to switch to Blogger beta and to strictly narrow down the accessibility of this blog to a few select people. This would be very desirable, as I have no way of knowing who the other 20 people who regularly read my blog, but never leave a comment, are.

At the present I'm still weighing my options, but contrary to what some people think I DO NOT write this blog because I'm an exhibitionist. I write it because it's been the only way I could (and did) keep writing in English for a whole year (and for some strange reason I believe one hasn't mastered a language if one doesn't keep practicing and writing. I did say a long time ago that reading in English is not a problem for me, but I know many people who can read and understand perfectly, but have quite a few problems when they have to speak or write). At other private methods consisting of buying a notebook and deciding to jot down a few words every now and then I failed admirably. I've never been a person who could keep a diary, but I could keep a blog, because of some invisible force of feeling a duty towards your readers.

Now it seems that these same readers and this duty have been my undoing. And who am I kidding - a blog more or less, who will actually care? Si. blogs has exploded in the year in which I kept writing Random Ramblings and I truly believe there are other, better-worded, more frequently updated, more eloquently phrased blogs on anything from the universe to nano-technology. You can do without me; there's only the reconciliation I have to bring about between the me who loved writing (the form of expression I've loved for a long time) and the me who dislikes being identified.

Labels:

posted by Nadezhda | 20:40


16 Comments:


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly could do without you, but I would still be sorry to see you go. Why are you so afraid of being recognized? The things you write in your blog don't seem to be terribly intimate or embarassing or anything like that.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... 'I certainly could do without you' sounds I want to get rid of you, which is most definitely not what I meant. I merely agreed with what you said in the last paragraph.


Blogger jin said...

Please don't stop writting!

I don't understand what the fuss about your identity is, because, lets face it, you don't write anything shocking and unapropriate.

But you are one of the most eloquent bloggers in Slovenia and you would be missed by some of us who like your reviews (allthoug admitedly not all as people tend to have different tastes). Specially if you write about Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

Nobody is demanding that you have a quota of articles to write. You can write a review now and then (and so save time for your other work), maybe even a month apart, but those of us who have you on our blogrolls will come checking, that's for sure.


Blogger Bo said...

Grab your chairs, make a circle, and pay attention. As Lord of the Rings fans, let us remember what Frodo and Gandalf have to say.

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

We know we can be a bit mean sometimes, but to do a real damage to somebody, it takes a psycho. I doubt there are even some around here. In any case, I am sure you can crush anybody like a worm. But if there isn't a psycho, it's no need to. Or so I think.

To hear your real-life ambitions are thus planed and spirits high again, is nice. Luck and regards. I think what you said is more important than blogging.


Blogger Unknown said...

Seeing you go would be most awful since I just recently discovered your blog, which I thoroughly enjoy. You write some of the most amazing reviews I have ever read (and I always do enjoy reading them). I know what you mean by fearing you have exposed yourself online too much, I often have the same feeling and have already needed to control my writing more than one time. It is understandable that sometimes people need to leave certain things behind. If you feel you must stop blogging, I will of course support your decision, but be very sorry for the loss of one of the best blogs I know.

Please reconsider :)


Blogger Lilit said...

This thoughts scare me, too, especially since I know people who know me read my blog and I never intended them too (although I admit I was pretty stupid and naive in forgetting Slovenia is small, so if I use my usual nickname and write about my dog, which is of a rare breed and unusual name, someone is bound to stumble upon me sooner or later). I also sometimes think about shutting my blog down, because I feel too exposed (funny, when I write about some stuff to people I don't know is one thing, but if someone who knows me reads it, I immediately feel I exposed myself too much).
But my final thought is always, so what? I mean, nobody is forced to read my blog and even then nobody is forced to like it. I filter myself very strictly so that noone could find what I write offensive, I even don't write about such stuff anymore. I try to stay out of too personal stuff. Though I suppose my writing suffers because of that...
A couple of times I even considered opening a new blog, totally anonymous, but for the moment I'll stick with the way it is now.

If you do decide to get private, I hope you'll include me on your list :)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nadezhda, I'm another one who would care very much if you stopped writing this blog. I really like reading it (and I told you my reasons for it in one of my comments).

Let me tell you first that I believe that you write this blog because of practicing your English. However, is the reason for writing a blog so important that you have to fight with your readers about why you write it? Even if you were writing it because of exhibicionism, so what?? If people don't like it, why do they read it then? I tell myself many times that I should not act according to what other people think of me (even though I find it hard). Don't stop writing your blog because of what people think (or might think).


Blogger Teja said...

Stay!

And if I just put my name under jin's statement:

"I don't understand what the fuss about your identity is, because, lets face it, you don't write anything shocking and unapropriate."

;)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

I still don't know. Presently I am inclined to keeping the blog going, although I think reviews will dominate from now on. I will try to provide as little information on myself, as I don't want this hunt for my identity to continue. (Why certain people feel the need to google what they think is my real name, is beyond me; but knowing that such people do exist and that in time something much worse than recieving an e-mail might occur, has put me on guard.)

The identity thing doesn't have anything to do with writing inappropriate things. It has to do with privacy. What I write online is what goes on my mind, what stimulates me intelectually and emotionally. In real life I might appear a very different person on the outside, mainly because I've learnt to guard my feelings in certain circumstances. I don't just go about telling people about my depression or how hurt I feel sometimes. It's the distinction between what you say when you feel safe and when you don't. (It's like saying I've been feeling neglected by best friend since she's had a boyfriend, but in reality I won't tell her that or I will use a much more polite version.) It's the difference between being honest and being polite. Online I try to be honest and I can't be that when someone has enough information on me to expose me publically.

I've had a few bad experiences with meeting people online, but giving out uncensored information for anyone to read was naive and the time has come for this to stop. It was through my stupidity that this whole affair was brought about. I shall be more guarded in the future and I hope nothing such will happen again.


Blogger Bo said...

Ha, I can say now that Gandalf mislead me. I quoted him for his There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil, which essentially captures what I wanted to say but is much better said in some other quote which origin I couldn't remember for the past few days. So I will have to summarize in my: own words and broken English, which on the whole, has sense too.

Everything and everybody are part good part bad. Evil people and deeds we normally hate, condemn and run away from. Good things we cherish and are inspired by. They drive us on. It could be argumented then that running away from something follows the lack of finding anything good in that thing.

Anyhow, this could be put more simply.
Anyway, I wish you all more constructive than destructive thoughts.

P.S. My Word Verification word is "snafl"!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not double-blog? Have the review part public and a separate more private one with restricted access. Doing so, the public one can even be used as a gateway to the private one for any frequent contributes becoming new on-line friends. Best of both worlds really.


Blogger Lilit said...

Yes that's what I meant... not offensive as in, you know, XY is the biggest idiot in the world, but like you said, about a friend spending too much time with bf, you can't write directly about that...
So, I suppose it's an art, trying to say that aynway, but making it acceptable for you, her and everybody else :)


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Owca - double-blogging would mean I have to transfer my blog to wordpress, right? That would probably lead to complications and I do want to keep this design and I'm not sure it would be possible with wordpress. Apart from this, I like your suggestion.

Lilit - the funny part is she doesn't even know about the blog. Or - she knows, just she hasn't ever read it or been here, because she doesn't know the url or my nickname for that matter.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, nothing as complicated. Just sign up for a new account somewhere (perhaps with Blogger Beta you mentioned) and Bob's yer uncle.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Beta blogger now allows having private blogs (you choose who you want to allow to read your blog)... but I do think you will need to upgrade your layout template (which means some of the changes you made would get lost)... Maybe you could save your template somewhere and then just implement it in beta again.




[ Post a Comment ]