Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's time for snow


Photo source:
http://www.wisegorilla.com/images/meterology/meterology.html.

When I was walking home yesterday evening, I noticed it was uncommonly cold and it was raining. Upon closer inspection I discovered that actually it was snowing - the wind was carrying snowflakes, but obviously the temperatures weren't low enough to enable the formation of a snowy layer on the grounds. As soon as the snowflakes touched the soil, they melted.

However, this allows me to hope that in the near future, there will be some snow. Which is good news. I love it when it snows. I used to wake up an hour before my usual time just so I could watch the snow falling. It relaxes me in a way hardly anything else does. Also, when it snows, it is much quieter and I like the silence and the muffled sounds. And lastly, any landscape looks best when covered in snow.

The downside, naturally, is the traffic. All vehicles seem to travel at half their usual speed the day after. It doesn't matter whether the roads have been cleaned and sprayed with salt to prevent the formation of ice. It takes me twice or three times the time I normally need to get to the city centre of Ljubljana on a snowy day. As much as I respect careful drivers, such a traffic jam is very inconvenient as usually one needs to be at the University early and if at all possible, not late. When Ljubljana is covered in snow, getting anywhere on time is an attempt, destined to fail.

Also, in the city, the snow turns a nasty shade of gray or even black in a few days (if it lasts that long), so the "beautiful" landscape soon converts to a filthy-looking one. But at least, there was the pleasure of having snow in the first place and a person must learn, never to expect too much from anything.
*
On a related note, I'm going to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on the premiere night in Ljubljana! I actually wanted to see it on Saturday (it opens on Thursday this week), but a friend of mine is celebrating his birthday and he invited us all to cinema. How excited I am or how surprised I was at his invitation, I cannot explain in words. It really means much to me and I hope it will be a good experience. People (who have seen it already) gave very good reviews, some even claiming it's the best movie yet. While I will certainly miss Dobby and Winky, I again realize that one cannot have it all.

P.S. I noticed I already wrote about seeing Harry on the premiere night. If nothing else, this speaks volumes about my expectations.

posted by Nadezhda | 10:48


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]