Friday, November 11, 2005

Swan Lake in Maribor

Photo: Natalia Bessmertnova in Swan Lake - about the only decent Swan Lake photo I could find.

I was very happy to hear that SNG Maribor Opera and Ballet will be performing Swan Lake in the 2005/06 season. The reasons for this are two-fold. The stage in Maribor is larger than the stage in Ljubljana and such a big production couldn't be done justice on a small stage. Imagine the swan queen and only a dozen swans dancing around her, because the stage would not allow more dancers without their treading on each other's feet.

The other reason is that I think the dancers in Maribor more competent than those in Ljubljana. Having never been to Maribor to see them seems to suggest I am guessing, but at least there are facts to support my conclusions. First of all, in Ljubljana the quality of the classical ballet productions is falling. They're trying to solve the situation by doing one classical and one modern dance production a year. Also, the classical productions they do, don't follow the original (Petipa) choreography, but they rather invite some new name to do the choreography. From the technical stand point these new versions are easier and therefore the dancers dancing them don't t have to be as skilled, as prepared or as good as they'd have to be to dance the original. Now there might be financial constraints with regard to the copyrights and various permissions - but the ensemble did Balanchine's Serenade last year and that couldn't have been cheap. Also, I don't think you have to pay for the Ivanov/Petipa version of Swan Lake since it was first performed in 1895.

On the other hand, the Maribor Ballet did La Bayadere a few seasons ago and that is a gigantic production and a very difficult one, technically. They also have The Sleeping Beauty (thought not original choreography) on their repertoire and do quite a few modern pieces as well. And if my information is correct, they also tour. Something I've never heard mentioned in connection with Ljubljana's Ballet. Of course it's needless to mention that only good companies tour.

I'd dearly like to see this new production in Maribor and perhaps I will find time after the December holidays. At least I will be able to determine if and just how much better the dancers in Maribor are.

For your viewing pleasure go to For Ballet Lovers Only, there are some very nice (Swan Lake) photos - but they're all copyrighted so I couldn't post them as a part of my blog.

posted by Nadezhda | 12:55


0 Comments:




[ Post a Comment ]