Saturday, November 19, 2005

Pride and Prejudice

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

I've read P&P so many times I could quote from it even at midnight. And yes, I am a softie for a good romance. A good romance. And Austen did win me. I also like Emma and Sense and Sensibility, but P&P is my favourite Austen book.

I've known that a new film adaptation of the novel was about to be released and it starred Keira Knightley. I did not think much of her acting abilities and rather thought the film's going to be an utter mess and a disappointment. Much to my surprize I discovered that Rotten Tomatoes have given the film an 85% rating, which well, actually might mean it's worth seeing. As it's scheduled to be released in Slovenia on 19th January I might as well go and see it. And possibly change my mind about Knightley's acting abilities. If nothing else - I'll see Judi Dench as Lady de Bourgh.

The reason for my skepticism is, naturally, the 1995 BBC mini-series. I find it to be the definitive treatment of the book; while it keeps many of the famous lines and scenes, it also has a few additions - as the wet-shirted Mr. Darcy. Much to the delight of almost every female. I think that this scene alone (OK, combined with his acting abilities) ensured Firth's blossoming career and ever increasing popularity.

I liked Jennifer Ehle as Lizzy most. Then came Mr. Collins and he was everything you could expect from him. Not a moment of the series passed when I did not smile upon seeing him. And Mrs. Bennet! - she was such a laugh as well. Colin Firth certainly did justice to his character and was very convincing though perhaps a bit too stern in the later parts. In the beginning he was just as boring, self-sufficient and proud as one could hope him to be. I believe he lacked a certain warmth towards the end - not much, but a bit.

So: yes, my plan for the future visits to the cinema includes Harry Potter GoF, King Kong (I hope this is the Jackson I've come to love since LOTR) and P&P. Perhaps I'll also see Odgrobadogroba, the new film by Jan Cvitkovič. Actually, I'm seeing Harry on the premiere night - we're celebrating a birthday and I got invited. I'm very excited and looking forward to it. From what I've seen in trailers and heard from those who have already seen it, I gather it's the best one yet.

P.S. Speaking of films - RottenTomatoes have released a Harry Potter special with recaps of the films so far and a glossary. A must read for those who are going to see the film but have not read the books. Although for a more thorough coverage of the books, I'd suggest HP Lexicon.

posted by Nadezhda | 19:23


1 Comments:


Blogger Bo said...

"... the 1995 BBC mini-series. I find it to be the definitive treatment of the book."
I very much agree.

It's interesting for me to read that post of you now.




[ Post a Comment ]