Wednesday, March 29, 2006

They say you should learn from your mistakes


Simon said...
This is one of the best blog posts I ever read. Great! "Pain can be healthy." Gee, I never thought about it in this way so far...If there was a way to rate posts, I'd give you a five stars cum laude.
28 March, 2006 12:35


After having given the subject some thought, I realised that Simon probably (or very likely) included a fair measure of sarcasm in his comment. I agree that it would be more sensible of me to write that "Pain should serve as a reminder..." or that "Pain exists for a reason, which we shouldn't overlook before we gulp a generous measure of pain-killers."

"Pain is healthy" doesn't really hold water because health implies the absence of pain. However, I would have appreciated it more if Simon just said he disagreed with me or that the wording is awkward or paradoxical...

I accept the fact that I am a human and am happy to be able to correct mistakes, lapses in logic, incorrect spelling etc. However, I am not very fond of sarcasm. Actually, I do not like it at all and would kindly ask my readers to avoid using sarcasm as a means of expression in their comments. In my opinion sarcasm is amusement for miserable people.

Whatever you have to say to me can be said in a straightforward manner without resorting to a passive aggressive sort of mockery.

posted by Nadezhda | 12:31


4 Comments:


Blogger Bo said...

Simon has One Hundred Years of Solitude under Favorite Books in his Blogger Profile. I say he wasn't sarcastic.
The book is great in my opinion, and I don't think that sarcastic people love it. But I am letting him defend himself of course. :)

You made a fine point I perceive as: comments should be as little puzzling as possible.
Sarcasm, mockery, enigmas ... away with such.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it takes a Simon to fully comprehend a genius of a Simon, it is my moral imperative to comment.

Being a bit cryptic can be quite thought provoking, or so the oracles of Delphi claim. Would you have given the subject the same amount of thought, if my namesake's comment would be a simple "you are wrong"?

At the very least, this (supposedly) sarcastic remark provided you with a cue to voice your dismay towards sarcasm in the most natural way possible.

Hurrah for Simons! ;)


P.S. your CAPTCHA does not like me.


Blogger Nadezhda said...

Owca - I would have given it the same amount of thought even if he said I was wrong or that my statement was paradoxical.

At first I thought his statement was genuinely positive, but something about it didn't seem quite right. That's why I returned to the statement later, when I guessed that if he really meant to be affirmative of my statement he wouldn't use "gee" and "cum laude". Sometimes it is difficult to recognize sarcasm, when you can't hear a person say the words.

That's why I'm against it. Since we can rely only on what's written here, the point should be straightfoward and not clouded by sarcasm.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, one of the main draws of art is that the same thing can convey a completely different meaning to different people.




[ Post a Comment ]