Sunday, September 04, 2005

On writing

I'll start with an explanation. To justify why I started writing this blog. I'm not doing this to offer any divine insight (into the inner workings of my mind) to the accidental reader. I'm doing it for myself.

I've been the one "who is too busy to do something" for as long as I can remember.

Sometimes I really was overworking myself and did not want to add to my workload. At other times being too busy was as good an excuse as any to avoid doing things I rather wouldn't. And it's been getting worse with time; especially after I started studying medicine.

I soon started to cut on sleep to have enough time to study (and I would frequently study late into the night). A few months ago, I decided it was time to stop doing things that really don't mean much to me. To stop doing them - and to use this time for studying, to use if for things that mattered. I stopped posting on various forums, I stopped reading them.

But it felt weird. It felt weird to spend only a few minutes a day on the computer, just enough to check e-mail. I'm ashamed to say it, but I felt I wanted to spend some more time online. After having read half of Wikipedia and the whole of Mugglenet, I thought I might just as well do something productive with the time I did spend online. And then it occurred to me a few days ago: a blog. I'll be a blogger once more. :)

And as always - I'm really busy at the moment (practically don't have a minute to spare) studying for two exams that I take in two weeks. If you're any little bit like me, then you never really tidy your room/flat until you have at least 5 more important things to be doing at the time. I can think of more than 5 more important things to be doing now, so the time to start a blog was perfect.

Dale Carnegie once said: "The most important things in the world have been accomplished by people who kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all."


I used to write a blog, except that "write" really isn't an appropriate word for it. I wrote about two posts, then disappointed that I wasn't quite the philosophical genius (who could debate about various existentialist questions with incomparable ease) I thought I was, I stopped. I still cannot really think about that time without suppressing a shudder. (OK, I'm exaggerating.) But the painful and obvious (to anyone who read those posts) truth is: that blog was a pile of rubbish. I tried to be sophisticated, to address life's biggest questions in a tantalizing and captivating manner without appearing snobbish. What I did manage to do was to be boring.

And as Carnegie said - I'm probably a hopeless case to be a blogger (but I can keep on trying!). I usually don't have enough time and nothing to write about. My life is not a fascinating combination of glamour, fame and wild parties. Rather it's: get up in the morning, get dressed, have breakfast and go to lectures. I come home in the afternoon and start studying. I go to sleep at midnight.

What I have learnt is, that I don't have to be (very) special to keep a blog. I can write about the way I brush teeth in the morning, it doesn't matter. I'm not doing it to be admired or talked about. I'm doing it for a boring reason: to practice my English.

English is my second language and I've been learning it since I was seven. In December 2004 I passed Cambridge Proficiency Exam in English with an A. (I'm a show off, I know!) But since then I've mainly practiced my reading skills (as all my course books are in English). I can hardly string two English words together when I'm speaking (of which this blog certainly is a living proof) and have forgotten how to spell the difficult words.

OK, really: I'm going to try and keep this blog going mainly to practice my writing skills. That's also the reason why I'm doing this in English rather than Slovenian. I'm going to (hopefully) write about things that happen to me, my University course (and exams :), books I've read, films I've seen and promise to include plenty of just random ramblings, which has also been the inspiration for the title. (I am aware of its originality, thankyouverymuch.)

That's all the justification I can do for taking up web space. It's a poor excuse and I'm exaggerating in about every second sentence, but that's the way it is. Yeah, boring... I know. :)

Labels:

posted by Nadezhda | 10:29


1 Comments:


Blogger Michael M. said...

As someone who has been here for about four years, and is generally impressed with Slovenes' language skills, I can safely say that your English is astoundingly good. Better than many professional translators, even.

Good luck with your blog! May it live long and prosper.




[ Post a Comment ]